A wonderful perennial herb that is so easy to grow, it grows like a weed! As a part of a healthy diet, mint has a variety of health benefits, from promoting digestion to clearing skin and easing pain.
Our Naturopath’s love mint. Here are 6 reasons why you’ll love mint too:
1. Aids digestion. Soothes the stomach and promotes enzymes to help you digest your meal. It calms and relaxes the smooth muscles of the stomach and reduces flatulence. Try a cup of mint tea or a few drops of peppermint oil rubbed into the belly.
2. Helps oral health. Mint freshens your breath by inhibiting the growth of bacteria. Chew a few mint leaves after your meals.
3. Eases cold symptoms. Mint is a natural expectorant and can help to remove mucous from the airways. Try a few drops in a humidifier, bath, or on the chest and sinuses.
4. Skin cleanser. Although peppermint oil is too strong for your skin, fresh mint leaves applied to the skin regularly is an effective way to combat acne. It is naturally antibacterial. Try crushing a few mint leaves with purified water and apply to the skin for 1 minute before rinsing thoroughly.
5. Eases pain. Mint has analgesic properties due to it’s cooling effects when applied directly and is used in many topical pain creams. Peppermint oil can even ease headaches. Try adding a few drops of peppermint oil to a warm bath and breathing deeply.
6. It’s cooling. Mint helps to cool down the body, which is why it makes a great summer time treat. Try adding mint to your favourite summer time drinks, like lemonade.